Call for Rainforest Action Heroes in Borneo: Deadline March 18th
In collaboration with Dr. Willy Smits
and Orangutan Outreach, DeforestACTION
is launching an exciting global project to save the world's forests. And they want YOU to be an action star in their new 3D documentary
from Australian film company Virgo Productions in collaboration with National Geographic Entertainment.
The producers of DeforestACTION are searching the globe for 10 passionate, motivated and adventurous youth (age 18-35) to spend five months in Borneo working to save endangered orangutans in the jungles of Borneo. The chosen leaders will be the voice, eyes and ears of the project on the ground in Borneo, work to implement the project and be featured in the film.
Millions of acres of rainforest are sacrificed every year for wood pulp, paper, and land for monoculture palm oil plantations
. The disastrous effects of deforestation include climate change, displacement of Indigenous and forest-dependent peoples, and the loss of life and critical habitat for animals such as endangered orangutans.
Hardi Baktiantoro, Director of the Center of Orangutan Protection shared this story from the front lines of deforestation in Asia:
"On paper, orangutans are one of the most 'protected' species in the world, yet this is not the case even in so called 'protected' areas. I have seen orangutans beaten with wooden sticks and many with crushed skulls. Right information leads to right action and therefore our aim is to investigate and expose crimes against orangutans through photo and video documentary."
About 90 percent of orangutans live in Indonesia, between Sumatra and Borneo islands, while the remaining 10 percent can be found in Sabah and Sarawak, Malaysia. Both species of orangutans have been place on the red list of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature
(IUCN), with the Sumatran species listed as critically endangered.
Endangered species in Borneo need your help. You only have until March 18th to create and upload a 90 second video pitching DeforestACTION
on why you should be one of their 10 project leaders. Getting excited just hearing about the possibility? Then go for it--when it comes to the world's forests, there's no time to lose!