Rainforest Action Network (RAN) was founded with the belief that a sustainable and just world can and must be created in our lifetime, and that it will take individuals and communities standing together to confront corporate power to get us there. RAN uses nonviolent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies to reduce their contributions to climate change. the world’s dirtiest fossil fuels, coal and oil, and the leading banks that make their expansion possible, to address the root causes of climate change.
RAN’s Climate and Energy Program fights alongside people directly impacted by dirty energy, challenging corporate practices that place profits above people and the planet. In the 21st century, we should not be using deadly and outdated technology to power our communities. We are currently tackling the world’s dirtiest fossil fuels, coal and oil, and the leading banks that make their expansion possible, to address the root causes of climate change.
But the path forward is not only about stopping the worst impacts of climate change. It is also about envisioning and planning for the future that we want to live in. The fossil fuel industry and their political allies are pushing us towards climate catastrophe. RAN believes that people acting together can change this, as we have seen time and again throughout history. That is why RAN has developed a new project to seek out and amplify new ideas from communities across the country. Collectively we intend to change how we think about, and respond to, climate change in the coming decades.
RAN is looking for a motivated, passionate and hard-working Network Organizer to support the Climate and Energy Program. In this position you will use your high level of professionalism, strong organizational skills and smart strategic coordination to accelerate a global transition to truly clean energy production.
This position is a 40 hour per week position that reports directly to the Senior Campaigner in the Climate and Energy Program.
• Support campaign strategies that support a just energy transition;
• Maintain an active network with established activist groups, potential and established allied
groups, frontline and Indigenous communities and move collaborative work forward;
• Develop and train new volunteer leaders and groups;
• Implement agreed-upon campaign activities that expose destructive practices and build toward creative solutions;
• Conduct, direct or support research to be used for crafting campaign strategy or for specific campaign goals and activities;
• In conjunction with the Communications and Digital teams, design, create and use a range of communications tools (direct actions, direct communication, traditional and social media, briefing sheets, and other tools) to communicate with target audiences and to achieve campaign objectives;
• Draft compelling communications and advocacy materials, including email and social media content;
• Represent RAN at events as well as act as a public spokesperson for RAN;
• Train activists in non-violent direct action, media and communication skills, grassroots organizing;
• Work openly and cooperatively with other team members;
• Participate in weekly RAN staff meetings;
• Share office responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace.
• A minimum of 2 years’ experience working within a structured organizing program;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Strong organizational, time management and project management skills;
• Proven ability to multi-task in a fast paced campaign environment.
• Experience in online to offline organizing.
• Passionate commitment to climate protection and/or corporate campaigning;
• Understanding of non-violent direct action as both a strategy and tactic;
• Ability to work to tight deadlines;
• Solid computer skills (MS Office-literate);
• Ability to travel regularly
Location: San Francisco
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
The salary for this position is competitive for the small non-profit San Francisco Bay Area market. Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer funded HSA), VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff are eligible for a 3 month fully paid sabbatical.
How to Apply:
Please send resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with job title and your name in the subject line. If possible please include online portfolio, personal website, LinkedIn page or any other online resume you update. No phone calls, please.