The Finance & Administrative Associate will perform many operational tasks that support RAN as a whole, both financial and administrative related, that keep the organization's internal gears rotating. This position won't solely provide administrative support, rather they will play an integral role in managing projects across multiple departments in coordination with all levels of staff. The Finance & Administrative Associate will also be skilled at analyzing, tracking and interpreting numbers while understanding the different facets of our campaign budgets, in particular the Forest Program. This person needs to know the ins and outs of RAN policies, communicate effortlessly across our global team, and be able find innovative solutions to problems. In essence, the Finance & Administrative Associate is someone who will thrive in supporting and working alongside a fast-paced campaigns team while also performing core internal-facing tasks.
In addition to the Finance & Administrative Associate's core responsibilities, members of our operations team take on exciting projects within the larger organization, such as planning team retreats, participating in our racial justice work groups, and organizing fun-committee events for staff. This is a challenging and exciting position at the heart of one of the most savvy environmental and human rights organizations. It offers a unique platform from which to develop core operations and finance skills while supporting some of the most effective corporate campaigns in the world.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Rainforest Action Network (RAN) challenges corporate practices that threaten our forests and our climate, protects the rights of communities that depend on these resources, and promotes forward thinking strategies to preserve of our planet. A core principle in that effort is our commitment to finding systemic solutions that do not promote or continue systems of oppression or injustice.
For 30 years, Rainforest Action Network has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
- Assist in the management of monthly expense reports and Amex charges.
- Assist the Accounting Department in the close process in terms of how it pertains to the Forest Program.
- Assist in processing invoices, check requests and reimbursements ensuring there is appropriate backup documentation.
- Insure allocation %’s of program staff are accurate and up to date.
- Assist in managing restricted funds as it pertains to the Forest Program.
- Insure vendor and contractor information is accurate in Financial Edge.
- Assist in the RAN’s External Audit process as it pertains to the Forest Program as well as participate in Grant/Foundation audits.
- Create formal policies and procedures related to financial & accounting operations.
Budgeting and Financial Reporting & Analysis
- Prepare periodic program and grant related budget and actual reports.
- Track and explain variances related to program & grant expenses vs. Budget/Forecast.
- Track and explain variances related to program & grant revenue vs. Budget/Forecast.
- Create, manage and generate periodic departmental and project accounting reports within Financial Edge.
- Be the go to person in regards to working in and creating models in Excel
- Manage all Independent Contractor agreements and its related record keeping.
- Assist in the project management foundation proposal timelines and deadlines.
- Insure all Program events have proper and timely insurance documentation.
- Create formal policies and procedures related to administrative operations.
- Assist in the management and tracking of the program staff annual performance reviews.
- Assist in the hiring process as needed and in onboarding new team members.
- Act as the liaison with the HR department in explaining and clarifying RAN’s fringe benefits.
- Basic understanding of accounting, financial analysis and human resource administration.
- Good budgeting and forecasting knowledge
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Strong organizational, time management and project management skills
- Highly organized, proactive, ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced campaigning environment;
- Ability to manage up and manage across; supervision experience and ability to work with staff at all levels;
- Solid computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, Google, PowerPoint, internet skills) with a strong emphasis in Excel modeling and financial systems.
- 1 to 2 years experience in a financial/administrative or program support position
- Experience working in non-profits is preferred;
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
The salary for this position is competitive for the small non-profit San Francisco Bay Area market. Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer funded HSA), VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, employees are eligible for a 3 month fully paid sabbatical.
Please send resume and letter of interest to email@example.com with job title and your name in the subject line. If possible please include online portfolio, personal website, LinkedIn page or any other online resume you update. No phone calls, please.
Status: full-time, salaried, and fully benefited
Location: San Francisco