Human Resources Generalist/Manager
For 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. Called one of the “most savvy environmental agitators in the business” by The Wall Street Journal, RAN runs creative campaigns to protect forests, stem climate change and uphold human rights by pressuring and inspiring corporations doing the most environmental harm.
RAN has experienced significant growth over the past few years, and is looking for an extraordinary person to support to the COO (Noel R. Natividad), to take the organization to a new level of influence and effectiveness. We are currently an 8 million dollar organization with a team of 45 people. Our home office is in San Francisco and we have staff members in Indonesia, Japan, the United Kingdom and other parts of the U.S. This position will report to the COO and will be based in San Francisco.
We are looking for a hands-on and experienced HR manager to oversee all aspects of Human Resources and its related practices and procedures. The RAN Human Resources Manager will create, coordinate and implement organization wide policies and procedures that align with best practices in the field and fully support the organizational culture of RAN.
• Be the primary liason between RAN and its PEO (ADP TotalSource).
• Develop and implement HR strategies and initiatives aligned with the overall organizational strategy
• Develop and monitor overall HR strategies, systems, tactics and procedures across the organization
• Bridge and facilitate management and employee relations by addressing demands and resolving grievances or any other issues
• Manage the overall talent recruitment effort for all exempt and non-exempt personnel, temporary employees, interns and volunteers.
• Oversee and conduct all new-employee orientations; create & monitor career-pathing programs, employee relations counseling, outplacement counseling and exit interviewing; writes and places advertisements
• Oversee and manage the performance appraisal system and revise as necessary
• Implement and annually update compensation program; re-write job descriptions as necessary; conduct annual salary surveys and develop salary budgets (COLA & merit increases); analyze compensation trends as needed
• Ensure legal compliance will all City, State and Federal agencies
• Ability to work and administer within an organization with remote staff (both domestically and internationally)
• Ensure proper maintenance and upkeep of the RAN Employee Handbook; perform benefits administration (both health and retirement plans) to include enrollment, claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment, annual re-evaluation of policies for effectiveness based on staff needs
• Oversee the Volunteer and Intern program
• Establishes and maintains departmental HR records and reports
• Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other departmental meetings/retreats as needed
• Assist in various aspects Payroll Administration including but limited to timesheets, accurate tracking of PTO, overtime management, minimum wage requirements, etc.
• Working within an Environmental Non-Profit Organization
• Human Resource best practices
• Racial Justice competency
• Strategic Thinking & Decision Making
• Effective Project Management
• Strong people skills
• Proven working experience (ideally 3-5 years) as an HR manager
• People oriented and results driven
• Demonstrable experience with HR metrics
• Knowledge of HR systems and databases
• Ability to architect strategy along with leadership skills
• Excellent active listening, negotiation and presentation skills
• Competence to build and effectively manage interpersonal relationships at all levels of the company
• In-depth knowledge of labor law and HR best practices
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
The salary for this position is competitive for the small non-profit San Francisco Bay Area market. Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer funded HSA), VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff are eligible for a 3 month fully paid sabbatical.
Please send resume and letter of interest to email@example.com with job title and your name in the subject line. If possible please include online portfolio, personal website, LinkedIn page or any other online resume you update. No phone calls, please.
Status: FTE, Benefitted
Location: San Francisco