MUFG and Chase: Stop funding climate chaos
These massive banks are using YOUR money to tear down the world’s last remaining rainforests and to pollute the atmosphere with fossil fuels, making fat profits by destroying our planet.
People like you and I have started to connect the dots and demand a more responsible, more just financing from our banks, so let’s tell Chase and MUFG: Put OUR money where your mouth is and stop funding climate chaos!
To JPMorgan Chase and Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group:
2020 was one of the hottest years on record. Our planet is broken because of climate change. That’s according to UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres.
Your financing of fossil fuels and irresponsible agribusiness companies is exacerbating climate change and fueling fires across the globe, including in the Amazon and the rainforests of Indonesia. At a time when so many of us are struggling from the effects of COVID-19, it is inexcusable that you knowingly make the planet less habitable and increase our suffering, all in the interest of profit.
As a matter of urgency, we demand that your financial institution:
- Cut all financing for Enbridge and their Line 3 pipeline construction;
- Ensure that the projects and companies you support are aligned with the Paris Agreement goal of limiting global warming to 1.5°C;
- Stop funding fossil fuel expansion and commit to phasing out your fossil financing on a 1.5°C-compatible timeline;
- Prohibit any use of fire to clear land by your clients and investees, and by their suppliers; and
- Adopt and implement No Deforestation, No Peatland and No Exploitation (NDPE) policies across all investments and financial services, mandating all investees and clients to adopt and implement NDPE policies at a corporate group level.