To Colgate-Palmolive, Ferrero, Kao, Mars, Mondelēz, Nestlé, Nissin Foods, PepsiCo, Procter & Gamble, Unilever, ABN Amro, Bank Negara Indonesia (BNI), CIMB, DBS, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC), JPMorgan Chase, and Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG):
The world’s climate is at a perilous tipping point. Protecting the planet's forests is critical to organized human life on earth as we know it. Nonetheless, our forests and the Indigenous and local communities who steward them are under increasing threats.
The Keep Forests Standing scorecard shows that your company has failed to take adequate action to address its contribution to the destruction of forests and ongoing land grabs and violence against local and Indigenous communities. Effectively immediately, your company must:
Adopt ‘No Deforestation, No Peatland and No Exploitation’ (NDPE) policies:
- Create a plan to achieve and prove implementation across all forest-risk commodity supply chains.
- Demand all business partners adopt mandatory policies.
Release Forest Footprint and Monitoring Systems:
- Publicly disclose their total impact on forests, peatlands and the rights of Indigenous Peoples and local communities.
- Establish forests and peatlands monitoring and response systems.
Prevent Violence and Uphold Human Rights:
- Establish human rights monitoring and due diligence systems and field-based methods to verify that the rights to Free, Prior and Informed Consent are being respected.
- Enact zero tolerance procedures to prevent violence, criminalization, intimidation, and killing of land rights defenders.
Hold Bad Actors to Account:
- Disclose and consistently implement a process to end relationships with business partners complicit in deforestation and human rights abuses.
Prove compliance by business partners:
- Publish independent verification of NDPE compliance.
- Do not rely on ineffective certification systems.
The Keep Forests Standing campaign demands more than paper promises. We, the people, call on you to take action now!