Rainforest Action Network challenges corporate practices that threaten our forests and our climate, protects the rights of communities that depend on these resources, and promotes forward thinking strategies to preserve of our planet. A core principle in that effort is our commitment to finding systemic solutions that do not promote or continue systems of oppression or injustice.
About the position:
RAN is looking for an innovative, organized, self-motivated, and qualified individual to support the Rainforest Agribusiness campaign and it’s National Organizing Program while the Responsible Food Campaigner is on maternity leave. This is a 30 hour/week contract temporary position for nearly 5 months starting in September, 2015.
- Work with Rainforest Agribusiness campaign team and supporting departments at RAN to implement campaign strategies that pressure the Snack Food 20 companies to eliminate Conflict Palm Oil from our food system
- Support the Rainforest Agribusiness Campaign Director and National Organizer in executing hard-hitting campaign tactics that pressure laggards in the snack food sector to adopt a responsible palm oil policy
- Support National Organizer in remotely supporting and mobilizing our global Palm Oil Action Team (POAT) to take action on the Snack Food 20 campaign both online and in their community
- Willingness to work evenings occasionally and/or travel on weekends if needed
- Project manage tactical pushes on laggard companies
- Support team on organizing Direct Communication events
- Support POAT leaders in doing effective outreach at local events across the U.S.
- At least 5 years of U.S.-based campaigning and organizing experience
- Excellent project management, prioritization and time management skills
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking, writing, and networking skills
- Demonstrated expertise in remote organizing and recruitment, with an emphasis on phone banking and social media
- Experience coordinating events and national days of action
- Demonstrated expertise in digital organizing and mastery of using a variety of online tools and strategies to achieve campaign objectives
- A proven track record of working with diverse coalitions and coordinating with activists from various backgrounds
- Experience supporting activists remotely in taking non-violent direct action and organizing local events
- Expertise or a demonstrated interest with issues including forests, biodiversity, climate change, food systems, human rights, markets campaigns, non-violent direct action, and grassroots organizing
- Fluency in English
- Able to work legally in the United States
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
This is a temporary position with benefits for 30 hours/week at $20-$30/hr, depending on experience.
Dates: September 7, 2015 - January 29, 2016
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume and letter of interest to email@example.com with job title and your name in the subject line. If possible please include online portfolio, personal website, LinkedIn page or any other online resume you update. No phone calls, please.
For more information on our work please visit: www.ran.org