For 30 years, Rainforest Action Network has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
RAN is looking for a motivated, passionate and hard-working person to support the Forest Program. The ability to interact with staff at all levels—while remaining flexible, analytical, proactive, resourceful, and efficient—is essential. A high level of professionalism and confidentiality will be crucial for success in this position
The Forest Program Finance Coordinator will be an essential member of the Administrative Team in providing general finance, accounting and HR support as well as variety of administrative and operational activities and related tasks for the Forest Program.
This position will be responsible for the full range of activities related to budgeting and forecasting, accounting, financial analysis, pre and post award grant administration. Additionally, this position will also serve as a key liaison with program staff for financial and budget tracking.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
• Assist in the management of monthly expense reports and Amex charges.
• Assist the Accounting Department in the close process in terms of how it pertains to the Forest Program.
• Assist in processing invoices, check requests and reimbursements ensuring there is appropriate backup documentation.
• Insure allocation %’s of program staff are accurate and up to date.
• Assist in managing restricted funds as it pertains to the Forest Program.
• Insure vendor and contractor information is accurate in Financial Edge.
• Assist in the RAN’s External Audit process as it pertains to the Forest Program as well as participate in Grant/Foundation audits.
• Create formal policies and procedures related to financial & accounting operations.
Budgeting and Financial Reporting & Analysis
• Prepare periodic program and grant related budget and actual reports.
• Track and explain variances related to program & grant expenses vs. Budget/Forecast.
• Track and explain variances related to program & grant revenue vs. Budget/Forecast.
• Create, manage and generate periodic departmental and project accounting reports within Financial Edge.
• Be the go to person in regards to working in and creating models in Excel
• Manage all Independent Contractor agreements and its related record keeping.
• Assist in the project management foundation proposal timelines and deadlines.
• Insure all Program events have proper and timely insurance documentation.
• Create formal policies and procedures related to administrative operations.
• Assist in the management and tracking of the program staff annual performance reviews.
• Assist in the hiring process as needed and in onboarding new team members.
• Act as the liason with the HR department in explaining and clarifying RAN’s fringe benefits.
• Basic understanding of accounting, financial analysis and human resource administration.
• Good budgeting and forecasting knowledge
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
• Strong organizational, time management and project management skills
• Highly organized, proactive, ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced campaigning environment;
• Ability to manage up and manage across; supervision experience and ability to work with staff at all levels;
• Solid computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, Google, PowerPoint, internet skills) with a strong emphasis in Excel modeling and financial systems.
• 1 to 2 years experience in a financial/administrative or program support position
• Experience working in non-profits is preferred;
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
The salary for this position is competitive for the small non-profit San Francisco Bay Area market. Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer funded HSA), VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, employees are eligible for a 3 month fully paid sabbatical.
Please send resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with job title and your name in the subject line. If possible please include online portfolio, personal website, LinkedIn page or any other online resume you update. No phone calls, please.
Status: full-time, salaried, and fully benefited
Location: San Francisco