It's time to ramp up the pressure on the next Snack Food 20 laggard! Your next project as a member of the Palm Oil Ambassadors Team is to launch our new campaign on Dessert giant, Sara Lee with a bang by generating as many calls as possible to the company next month. Are you in?
Don't want to wait on your cards to arrive by mail? Download and print call in cards to recruit your friends and family here!
Sara Lee’s pre-made pies and cheesecakes may be a convenient dessert option, but these products are at a high risk of containing Conflict Palm Oil, an ingredient linked to the destruction of rainforests, peatlands and the abuse of human and labor rights.
Every year, the company spends huge amounts of money on advertising, trying to convince moms and dads that their pies and cheesecakes are desserts that we can trust. We know better, and the proof is in the pie: the company is unwilling to commit to keep children out of slave labor conditions, protect rainforest communities and save orangutan from extinction.
Starting on August 13th, RAN Palm Oil Ambassadors and Leaders will be organizing call-in day events outside local grocery stores or at other busy public spaces/events to generate pressure on Sara Lee. Will you organize a call-in day event and empower your community to demand that Sara Lee eliminate Conflict Palm Oil from its supply chain?
To date, the company has not taken our demands that it cut Conflict Palm Oil from its supply chain seriously, and we need your voices to give our demands the people powered oomph that it will take to get Sara Lee decision makers to do the right thing.
Below is a How-to guide for organizing your event
Once you’ve ordered your call cards
- Choose a day (August 13-28th,), time (2 or 3 hours), and location or event where you’ll ask people to make phone calls to Sara Lee. Mark your calendar!
- Recruit a few friends to join you and set goal together for how many calls you’d like to generate to Sara Lee (5 calls per hour/per person is a great rate. So collectively, if you’ve got 3 people asking for calls for 3 hours, a great goal would be 45 phone calls to the companies).
- Practice asking folks to make a call with your friends before you head out to your location (think about what kinds of questions people might ask you ahead of time). Even if it feels a little silly, practicing asking someone to stop and make a phone call ahead of time will make it go much smoother once you’re out in the world asking folks to take action with you!
- Ask folks to call on the spot: We’ll send you 20 call script postcards per activist participating in the action. This means that you shouldn’t hand the cards out to everyone who asks, but rather ask people to stop and make a call with you on the spot.
- Get Creative! Sometimes having a playful element like a banner, posters or costume helps break the ice when you are asking strangers to make a phone call. Feel free to get as creative as you’d like with this!
Your call-in day event will be part of a wave of actions around the country that week, and our goal is produce enough pressure on Sara Lee decision makers that they begin to take steps toward creating a robust Conflict Palm Oil policy.
Thanks for your incredible activism. As always, feel free to email Jess Serrante at Jess@RAN.org with any questions.