For 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with Indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
Available now, RAN has an opening on our Digital Engagement Team for a Social Media Strategist on a 3 month contract. This is a part to full time role for a seasoned contractor. You’ll join a work with digital savvy activists and help launch and sustain innovative, strategic and highly effective campaigns to preserve rainforests, protect the climate and uphold human rights. In this role you will be building an online narrative on social media and measuring impact.
Creating, coordinating and scheduling social media across multiple RAN campaign priorities as well as for institution generally. This includes organizing and leveraging content created from the global RAN team as well as archival RAN content. We are also looking for incisive reporting and analysis of RAN's social media profile and impact.
It will be a fast moving role that will take someone who is good at finishing projects on time and be able to think big picture about engagement and supporter/user experience. This person will also directly work with wide range of campaigners, digital, membership, and communications staffers to plan projects and execute on their delivery. Anyone in this role will need to be able to self-manage priorities and deadlines.
Location: Flexible; main offices are in San Francisco, CA.
A contractor outside of San Francisco must be comfortable and effective working in a distributed team from a remote office.
- With assistance from the communications team, the Social Media Strategist will write social media content, email blasts and other written materials for online production.
- Manage followers on social media and implement strategies to grow reach;
- Create and co-manage content calendars;
- Communicating best practices and training on those for RAN staff to use our social media platforms with consistency for campaigning;
- Identify and respond to supporters questions, comments, or other interactions and seek out opportunities to engage with our supporters
- Use Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Meltwater and other data reporting tools to track all communications and their impacts;
- Provide analysis of online performance and recommendations for changes when needed;
- Support other aspects of RAN’s work (e.g. helping during major fundraising events, grassroots trainings, or campaigns priorities as requested by supervisor);
- Work openly and cooperatively within a high functioning team dynamic;
- 2-3 years of managing social media accounts and running intentional social media campaigns;
- 2-3 years of experience writing for online advocacy or marketing campaigns;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Comfortable with basic use of photoshop or other photo editing software;
- Strong organizational, time management and project management skills, ability to work to tight deadlines;
- Commitment to RAN’s mission and vision including the preservation of rainforests, protection of the climate, and the upholding human rights and RAN’s theory of change including corporate campaigning and non-violent direct action;
- Experience using social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, for campaigning;
- Experience using basic reporting tools to analyze and track data;
- Ability to work independently from a remote location, to follow instructions, and complete tasks across time zones with a minimal amount of supervision if necessary;
- Strong commitment to and belief in the power of using online resources to help empower communities and activists.
- Knowledge and commitment to advancing racial justice;
- Experience with graphic and video design.
- Experience using A/B testing in an advocacy or marketing capacity.
- Experience with or willingness to learn basic NationBuilder tools.
RAN is committed to advancing equity and justice, educates staff on issues including privilege and oppression, and integrates these values into our work. We are in the process of building out our racial justice lens and are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with job title and your name in the subject line. Please include your current contract rates and hours of availability per week. If possible please include online portfolio, LinkedIn page or any other online resume you update. No phone calls, please.